Marine Corps Marathon one year later...and more

It was one year ago Oct. 25 that I finished my first and so far only marathon, the Marine Corps Marathon.

The thoughts I have from that day are incredible, except for the waking up at an ungodly hour, being cold and slightly damp due to a drizzle. There were so many people with so many stories running. Running through areas with cheering people who I had never and will never meet. Seeing beautiful areas of Arlington, VA and Washington, D.C. Seeing monuments on the National Mall. Then finishing at the Marine Corps Memorial. None of this will ever fade from my memory.

The two most emotional moments of the run were at the finish. I have written about the first moment when I received my medal from the new Marine Corps second lieutenant. All the running hormones hit and I couldn't contain the tears. The second moment was actually seeing Merrill receive her medal. It was at that moment that the two of us after our MONTHS of training were marathoners. Both of us reflect on that day weekly, maybe more.
Yes, those are misty eyes.
My Adrenal Crisis

This is for my Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia family...I haven't written much about after the marathon, but I will now and hopefully this will help me get over the hump.The moments after the marathon, on the bus ride back to the hotel, at the hotel, the evening after the race and the next morning, were absolutely terrible. About 45 minutes after finishing, I began to not feel right. I was dizzy and nauseous. I had to sit on the curb while Merrill went to get our finisher's shirts. Then we got to the bus and the feeling continued. It's incredibly difficult to be extremely happy for your accomplishments while you feel this way. We got back to the hotel and for the briefest of moments I felt better. We talked with Merrill's mom, cousin and G. Plans were made for dinner. I didn't get to enjoy dinner. I was curled up under the bed covers. Delirium, for lack of a better word, was settling in. Merrill came back from her post-marathon steak dinner with her family. She still talks bout that steak dinner! I felt better and went for my post-marathon dinner of a sandwich and fries. It was good at that moment. We went to bed.
The next morning the two of us woke up stiff and I felt sick. The sick feeling didn't last long until I really was sick (It was only once). Hindsight says, I should have used my emergency dose shot of solu-cortef (IF WE HAD IT WITH US). Yes, I realize this now Dr. Spitz, everyone at the Children's Hospital Los Angeles CAH Clinic and CaresFoundation! The drive home was pretty miserable for most of the way. My body finally began to recover after several rounds of stress dosing.

The year has been a bit of a running downer for myself. I have done some races, but not with the enthusiasm I had during 2014 and 2015. Is it burnout? I don't know. There have been moments of excitement, but those have been moments. The races I have been in, I have enjoyed being at the back of the pack. I used to be a numbers junkie, but not now. I want to have fun! Merrill continuously beats me to the finish line. That is fine because it is nice having someone cheer you to the end. I do miss doing that for her. Seeing her beautiful smile coming down the chute makes me happy!

I do love our starting line selfies! Those I will never give up. Even when we aren't running the same we get some kind of selfie.
"Starting line" photo for Tri at the Trump
I have written a lot about beyond 2016 and into 2017. There are a few events coming up in the next couple of weeks and months...and, you know what? I am excited for them. Yes, I said that Merrill! It may be a first for this year. This weekend is the Runway Run 5K at Charlotte Douglas Airport here in Charlotte. We will actually be running on a runway and along planes. We did it two years ago and it was really fun. In three weeks I am doing the Charlotte Marathon Half-Marathon. Merrill is going to be a beast and run the MARATHON. Go, Darling! Then in December when we visit family in Memphis, we are thinking of doing a "run" at Shelby Farms. This will give me the chance to check off Tennessee for states I have run in.

Training for 2017 needs to kick in if I want to be ready for what I have planned. I need to build back my running base, get seat time on the bike and really get to the Mecklenburg County Aquatic Center to swim...A LOT!

Getting reading for a 70.3 mile triathlon is not going happen by osmosis. I will be ready for IRONMAN 70.3 Raleigh.
My reminder of what I am doing.

If you could help, no amount is too small, please visit: Go Fund Me.